Barielle's Brilliant Colors Collection.

Barielle is releasing yet another summer collection called Brilliant Colors... This set is another collection of vibrant creme Shades. The name is a play on being Smart 'Brilliant' and the colors being Bright 'Brilliant'. Cute but I was hoping for something unique (which this collection is not) but there is one Shade in here that I really love and we will get to that in just a moment.

Instead of swatching them all on a nail wheel and choosing one Shade to wear I opted to do a Skittle mani; this will be the first time I am posting one on my blog. I haven't done a Skittle mani since I was in my early 20's (that would be 10 years ago).



Smarty Pants Pink (Pinkie) - A chalky bubble gum pink. Formula was thick and streaky. In comparing it to others in my stash I don't have anything quite like it; it's much lighter than my favorite Orly, Basketcase and darker than Barielle's Pink Flip Flops.

Straight A Coral (Ring) - A bright pink/red coral that would make for a nice bold pedicure. Formula was very thin and I had a bit of a problem with pooling at the cuticle. Goes on a little sheer but builds up nicely. After looking thru my similar polishes I realized that Barielle's Fifth Avenue Boutique is a dead on dupe color wise. The formulas are different though because Straight A Coral is more sheer. Essie's Watermelon is a shade darker.

Top: Fifth Avenue Boutique, Bottom: Straight A Coral
High Marks Purple (Middle) - This is a red toned deep purple that definitly gets high marks from me. Looking at it in the bottle I didn't care for it but on the nail I really like it. Formula was really nice as well and applied very smoothly. This could easily be a one coater too. It is also very unique in my stash, the closest color I could find was SpaRitual's Primitive. Primitive is slightly darker and has a hidden shimmer. High Marks Purple is one of those universally flattering colors; it would look great on anyone.

Magna Cum Laude Turquoise (Index) - I don't think I would call this a turquoise; it's more of a cerulean blue to me. Formula was a good consistency but it applied streaky and dried to a satin finish making it look chalky. I found it most similar to Orly's Skinny Dip; however MCLT is lighter and brighter and lacking the shimmer in Skinny Dip. Zoya's Robyn is much darker and Barielle's Swizzle Stix is much, much lighter.

Head Of The Class Green (Thumb) - A medium seafoam green. Formula was pretty thick but it could easily be a one coater. This one is a brighter more vibrant version of Barielle's Do Unto Others.

I applied 2 coats to each nail and they were all very opaque after the 2nd coat. I added a coat of Seche Vite for the above photo.

I then decided to play with some of my Barielle Glitters; Stardust, which consists of small irridescent glitters in a clear base, and Starchild, various sizes of silver holographic hexagon glitter in a clear base. I dabbed a little of each on the tips of my nails to give a graduated look. These glitters are a little gritty so I used a coat of Gelous and then a coat of Seche Vite to finish it off.


Barielle provided these Shades to me for review, but as you can see it did not sway my opinion. While I think these are good core colors, the formulas are a very mixed bag. It seems like Barielle has been putting out a ton of these pinks and greens. If you look back at their past collections there's always one of them in there. How about some more shimmers and glitters? Elle's Spell has those gorgeous flakes, Falling Star has copper glitter suspended in an opaque blue base, and one of my all time favorites, Positive Zen-Ergy is a very unique shade of green with gorgeous silver micro glitter. These are the types of nail polish that makes me swoon. I'd love to see a fabulous orange too!

Of course if any of these colors caught your eye you can purchase them online at www.Barielle.com. I also highly suggest 'Liking' their Facebook page because they do awesome promos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salon Perfect, Kaboom and Shocked.

China Glaze, Red Satin.

Review: Cover FX BB Gel, Mattifying Anti-Blemish Treatment.