Barielle's Naturale Essential Eye Shadow (Black Version) - Swatches, Review, & Eye Look.

Barielle was kind enough to send me their Natural Essential Eye Shadow in Black so I wanted to give you some swatches, a review, and an eye look I did with it.


This is what it says on the Barielle Website:

DESCRIPTION
Get the perfect neutral eye make-up look with this gorgeous palette featuring six eye shadow shades in a variety of natural/nude hues. Give your eyes more dimension with these six must-have shades with a subtle shimmer for a perfect naturale eye. Contour, line and highlight to create just the right amount of definition for spectacular natural eyes! Includes precision brush for perfect application and blending. 

DETAILS
Size: 6 Pans - Total Weight 0.21 Oz (6g) 

Ingredients: Talc, Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Synthetic Wax, Mineral Oil, Tin Oxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470).


Price: $14.99 (Shipping of $4.95)


Each shadow is .035 oz.
Price wise it breaks down to $2.50 per shadow (add .83 for Shipping)



The 3 Shadows on the Left of the palette.


 The 3 Shadows on the Right of the palette.


Swatches:

Indirect Sunlight.

Slightly less Sunlight.

Swatched on clean skin with no primer. From Left to Right. (No individual shade names)

These are not one swipe swatches; I did pass over them a few times otherwise they would not show up. These require some friction so the particles will breakdown to release pigment.

1) Warm-toned caramel brown, Matte - Very matte, probably the most pigmented out of the palette. Fall out does occur and it does kick up some product when you pick up product with your makeup brush. Mid-toned.

2) Pale peach, Shimmer - This doesn't seem to be very pigmented but you can build it up. It's also very close to my actual skin tone so that could be another reason it doesn't show up too well. It has a little bit of very fine glitter in it as well. I used it wet and I found it intensified the color and shimmer.

3) Cool-toned greige, Shimmer - This is a very complex shade and I love that about it but sadly the pigmentation isn't there. It takes a lot of building and buffing to get the magic to come out and play. There is a hit of an olive tone in there along with a gold sheen. Mid-toned.

4) Neutral Icy Vanilla, Shimmer - This icy shimmer looks really pretty when built up and buffed in but it's not very pigmented either.

5) Warm-toned copper, Shimmer w/ Glitter - Quite possibly the least pigmented of the bunch (it could be a tie between this and the Pale peach) so after trying to apply it to my eye I finally used e.l.f.'s Mist & Set to wet my sponge and applied it wet. That worked much better. There's also a lot of glitter in this one.

6) Neutral mushroom brown, Shimmer/Satin - This one is lower on the shimmer chart; it really looks like more of a satin finish to me but in the pan you can see shimmer. I bet you could even use this as a crease shade but you will have to build it up. If you layer the Pale peach over it you get a very soft duo-chrome effect. Mid-toned.

You can easily use these wet to amp up the pigmentation and finish.


Eye Look:

Please excuse the blemish in my eyebrow.

Crease: #1 - I applied the matte shade in my crease using a fluffy shadow brush (Coastal Scents BR-250)

Lid: #5 - I applied the shimmery copper shade wet (I used e.l.f.'s Mist & Set) using the sponge applicator that came with the palette. I had tried to apply it dry using a brush (Sedona Lace EB 09) but it wasn't really picking up the product.

Inner Corner: #2 - I applied the pale peach shimmer wet as well using a mini multipurpose brush (Coastal Scents BR-C-S46). I also smudged a little on my lower inner lash line as well. It helps to brighten up my deep-set eyes.

For my brow bone I used the lightest shade in the Coastal Scents Revealed 3 Palette since this one doesn't have a good light matte shade for the brow bone. I blended the edge of my crease shade into my brow bone shade using my Sedona Lace EB 09 brush; this brush is great for lightly diffusing harsh edges and lines.

My lashes got a light application of Wet n Wild's MegaLength Mascara in Black.


Review:

This eye shadow palette in my opinion is a 5 out of 10; it's definitely not the worst but it's also no where near the best. For reference my worst palette (in my opinion) is e.l.f.'s Baked Eyeshadow Palette in NYC (However, the individual Baked Shadows are pretty awesome). My best palette is Urban Decay's Vice 3; I also love the formulation and color payoff of the Prestige Total Intensity Eyeshadows, ColourPop's Super Shock Shadows, and Milani's Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadows.

It all depends on how you wear your eye makeup and what kind of effect and/or finish you are looking for. Personally I like to be able to pack on my shimmer shades for high impact and you definitely can't do that with this palette. Unless of course you use them wet.

There is only one matte shade and no brow bone highlight shade. I would swap out the Cool-toned greige shimmer shade and put in a a matte off-white shade for the brow bone. I say that because this entire palette is warm toned or neutral except for that one cool toned shadow; it doesn't really fit in here. I don't think too many of the shades would work with that one color. Especially since most individuals really want to use a matte color in the crease. Not everyone is married to that rule but I have to admit that out of this entire palette the matte shade is the best one for blending in the crease because the others don't have that much pigmentation. It's the best one for contouring the eye.

I think this palette would be ideal for someone who definitely wants that Natural look. These are soft and don't overwhelm the eye with too much pigmentation. No one will look at you funny and comment on your eye makeup (like 'Wow, who punched you in the eye?' or 'So, you like makeup, huh?'. Yes, it has happened to me, especially in October.). If you have problems blending or applying eye shadow precisely this will be very forgiving. It's also an ideal size for traveling or even if you want to keep your morning makeup routine short & sweet.

Another concern that came to me was the fact that mature women tend to avoid shimmery shades because they feel it shows the unflattering texture of their eyes (their words, not mine). This palette is 83% shimmers with only one matte. Sure, the very last one isn't all that shimmery so you could count that as 2 non-shimmers if you want. Either way, this might not be something you would want to get if you don't care for shimmery shades.

There's no doubt that everyone and their mother has been jumping on the Nude and Natural bandwagon since Urban Decay was so successful with their Naked palettes and this could very well be another 'dupe' for some of those shades but I don't own any of them to compare. I know there were very few matte shades in those palettes as well.

I mentioned above that this palette is a good size for traveling as well as if you are trying to keep your eye shadow selection pared down; sometimes having too many options can cause you to take a little longer in deciding which shades to use. The packaging is lightweight cardboard with a flimsy plastic window on the front. Not the best quality but definitely functional; lightweight just makes it even better for travel. A magnetized closure works well to keep it closed. It comes with a double ended sponge applicator which I used to apply the copper shade (wet) all over my eyelid. It worked better than a brush. Most sponge applicators are very flimsy and fall apart but this one is sturdy and has a firmness to it; kind of feels like Beauty Blender material.

There is also a Beige Version that has a burgundy shade which looks very pretty; I love shades like that because they flatter my hazel eyes.

I hope this post was helpful any gave some insight into the palette. Is this something you would be interested in buying or do you prefer more pigmented shadows? Tell me your favorite (and least favorite) eyeshadows in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salon Perfect, Kaboom and Shocked.

China Glaze, Red Satin.

Review: Cover FX BB Gel, Mattifying Anti-Blemish Treatment.